How to upgrade SQL Server clusters to Windows Server 2003
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article lists the steps that you must follow to upgrade an existing Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) running Microsoft SQL Server 2000 to Microsoft Windows Server 2003.
To upgrade an existing Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) cluster that contains a pre-SQL Server 2000 virtual server to a clustered Windows Server 2003 Enterprise/Datacenter or Datacenter LE Server configuration, follow these steps:
- Upgrade the existing pre-SQL Server 2000 cluster to a SQL Server 2000 cluster according to the directions in SQL Server 2000 Books Online.
- After you have successfully upgraded SQL Server, install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 or later.
- Upgrade the current MSCS cluster to the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise/Datacenter or Datacenter LE Server according to the Windows Server 2003 documentation.
WARNING: If you continue with the installation or the upgrade of a pre-SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 installation on Windows Server 2003, unexpected results may occur and you will have a SQL Server configuration that is no longer supportable. Failures of SQL Server services will not be recoverable. If failures occur with the SQL Server engine, restoration of data from a previous backup to a supported solution will be the only supported option.
If you have already upgraded to a non-supported configuration, Microsoft recommends that you do one of the following:
- Upgrade your pre-SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 to SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 as soon as possible.
- Transfer your data to a supported SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 or later installation immediately.
For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
329329 PRB: Windows Server 2003 Support for SQL Server 2000
810391 INF: SQL Server 7.0, 6.5 and MSDE 1.0 Support on Windows Server 2003
Article ID: 313037 - Last Review: 01/17/2015 00:35:01 - Revision: 6.0
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Standard Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbinfo KB313037