PRB: "Remote calls are not allowed for this process" error message when you debug ASP.NET page
This article was previously published under Q313273
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If you are debugging on Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, see the following article before you continue reading this article:
How to turn on remote debugging in Windows XP Service Pack 2
When you remotely debug an ASP.NET application in Visual Studio .NET, you may receive the following error message:
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Remote calls are not allowed for this process.
Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project?
This error occurs if the client computer is running Visual Studio .NET and if the client computer does not have Distributed COM (DCOM) enabled.
To resolve this problem, enable DCOM on the client computer.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows 2000
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services to open the Component Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
- Expand the Component Services and the Computers nodes.
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- On the Default Properties tab, click to select the Enable Distributed COM on this computer check box, and then click OK.
- Close the Component Services MMC.
- Restart the computer.
Microsoft Windows NT
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type dcomcnfg, and then click OK.
- In the Distributed COM Configuration Properties dialog box, on the Default Properties tab, click to select the Enable Distributed COM on this computer check box, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
This behavior is by design.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Common errors when you debug ASP.NET applications in Visual Studio .NET
Article ID: 313273 - Last Review: 02/27/2014 21:10:55 - Revision: 4.7
- Microsoft ASP.NET 1.1
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional Edition
- Microsoft ASP.NET 1.0
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2002 Professional Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbpubtypekc kbdebug kberrmsg kbprb KB313273