MS16-004: Description of the security update for Office for Mac 2011: January 12, 2016
- If you are prompted for a password when you install this update, enter the administrator password on Mac OS X. For more information, see Mac OS X: Software installations require administrator password.
- If you already have Office 2016 for Mac installed and do not want to get Office for Mac 2011 updates, follow the steps in Uninstall Office 2011 for Mac to remove Office for Mac 2011.
Improvements and fixes
- The PowerPoint Broadcast Service option has been removed from the Broadcast service selection field in the Broadcast Slide Show dialog box. You can continue to use other added Broadcast Services in PowerPoint 2011.
- Printing multiple emails to PDF now works correctly in Outlook 2011.
- Office 365 subscribers are now prompted to upgrade to Office 2016 for Mac.
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac
Method 2: Microsoft Download Center
Updated filesFor a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then click Show Files on the File menu.
- The Office for Mac 2011 14.6.0 update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up to date.
- To use AutoUpdate, start an Office for Mac program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu. See resources for Office for Mac 2011 for more information.
PrerequisitesBefore you install the Office for Mac 2011 14.6.0 update, make sure that you have Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version installed on your computer. Also, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
To verify that Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then start any Office application. (For example, start Microsoft Word).
- On the application menu, click About <application>.
- In the About <application> dialog box, notice the version number that is displayed. The number should be 14.1.0 or a later version.
Security update deployment informationFor deployment information about this update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article KB3124585.
Update replacement informationThis security update replaces security update KB3119517.
How to obtain help and support for this security update
Article ID: 3133699 - Last Review: 01/12/2016 18:34:00 - Revision: 1.0
- kbsurveynew kbfix kbbug kbexpertiseinter kbsecbulletin kbsecvulnerability atdownload kbsecurity KB3133699