How to perform eDiscovery and remote PST captures in Office 365 Dedicated/ITAR (vNext)
In Microsoft Office 365 Dedicated/ITAR, you want to do one or both of the following:
- eDiscovery: Search a mailbox for specific data, and export the data locally
- Remote PST: Export mailbox data to a PST file on an on-premises server
This section outlines the permissions that are required and the process to recover deleted items for Legacy Dedicated and vNext customers.
Permissions requiredLegacy Dedicated
Refer to the applicable self-service guide at Office 365 Dedicated Release Collateral
To complete this task, provide the required role group, as appropriate:
- eDiscovery: The Discovery Management role group is required.
- Remote PST: The Compliance Management role group is required.
For more information about permissions in vNext to perform self-service tasks, see the following TechNet topics:
Process stepsLegacy Dedicated and vNext
The process steps are the same for both legacy Dedicated and vNext customers, as follows:
- eDiscovery: To perform an eDiscovery search and then export the results, see In-place eDiscovery.
- Remote PST: To perform the PST capture through a remote Windows PowerShell session, see Remote PST export.
Note You're prompted for additional credentials to store the file on-premises.
If you experience issues when you try to download the PST file from the EAC, see the following Knowledge Base articles:
Article ID: 3140303 - Last Review: 04/14/2016 06:13:00 - Revision: 9.0
Microsoft Business Productivity Online Dedicated, Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite Federal
- vkbportal226 kbgraphic kbgraphxlink KB3140303