Office Applications hang or shapes, drawings or menu items don't appear when a high contrast theme is used
You may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Microsoft Office applications may hang or freeze at random times.
- Shapes, drawings, menu items or other objects may not appear correctly in Office applications.
You have a high contrast theme enabled in Windows.
To fix this issue, enable a Windows theme that is not a high contrast theme by following these steps.
- Open Control Panel.
- Under the Appearance and Personalization section, click Change the Theme.
- Select a new theme under the following section name, depending on your version of Windows:
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8: Under the Windows Default Themes section, select a theme.
- Windows 7: Under the Aero Themes section, select a theme.
- Exit Control Panel.
Article ID: 3161000 - Last Review: 04/29/2016 19:00:00 - Revision: 1.0
Outlook 2016, Word 2016, Excel 2016, PowerPoint 2016, Microsoft Publisher 2016, Visio 2016, Microsoft Outlook 2013, Microsoft Word 2013, Microsoft Excel 2013, Microsoft PowerPoint 2013, Microsoft Publisher 2013, Microsoft Visio Professional 2013