Pen button customization issues on Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 in Windows 10 version 1511
Assume that you're running Windows 10 version 1511 on a Surface Pro 3 or Surface 3. When you use the Surface App from the Store, you don't see options in the Surface App to customize the actions that are associated with pressing the button on the end of your Surface Pen.
The Surface pen settings driver that you have installed doesn't support customization of the actions that are associated with pressing the button on the end of the Surface Pen.
To fix this issue, install an updated Surface Pen setting driver (version 11.0.311.0). To do this, follow these steps:
- Download the hotfix (KB3166743) from this article.
- Run the hotfix, and select a folder to unzip the files in.
- In the folder where you saved the files, press and hold (or right-click) the SurfacePenDriver.inf file, and then click Install.
- Restart the Surface App, and then select the option for pen settings.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
You must have Windows 10 version 1511 installed. The pen button customization doesn't work with the July 2015 version of Windows 10.
Learn about the terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates.
Article ID: 3166743 - Last Review: 06/15/2016 00:03:00 - Revision: 3.0
Surface 3, Surface Pro 3
- kbfix kbqfe kbautohotfix kbhotfixserver kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew KB3166743