What to expect on the OneDrive for Business site after you change a user name in Office 365
This article describes the effect that occurs on a OneDrive for Business site after you change a user name in Microsoft Office 365.
After you change a user name in Office 365 by using the process that's described in Change a user name in Office 365, the following symptoms occur on your OneDrive for Business site collection:
- The OneDrive for Business URL updates to reflect the change to the user name. The updating process normally finishes within 24 hours. However, in some rare situations, it can take longer for the synchronization to complete on the site collection. If it takes longer than 48 hours for this the process to finish, contact Microsoft Office 365 Support. To do this, see Contact Office 365 for business support - Admin Help.
- The "Shared With Me folder on OneDrive for Business appears empty to you until the documents are indexed by the search process. However, you still have access during the search to the documents that are shared to you.
- Any bookmark or embedded link to the original URL is no longer valid. If you have shared documents, the URL that was included in the original share invitation email is also no longer valid. In these scenarios, the permissions remain unchanged. Therefore, if the user has the updated URL, they can successfully access the documents and content at that location.
- If you're using the Groove.exe OneDrive for Business sync client, you will have to resynchronize your OneDrive for Business libraries. This doesn't apply to the new Next Generation Sync Client for OneDrive for Business (Onedrive.exe). For more information about how to sync your OneDrive for Business files, go to the following Office support website:
Still need help? Go to the Office 365 Community website.
Article ID: 3170065 - Last Review: 06/17/2016 16:43:00 - Revision: 2.0
OneDrive for Business
- o365 o365e o365p o365a o365m o365022013 KB3170065