MS16-088: Description of the security update for Office for Mac 2011 14.6.6
This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-088. This update has prerequisites.
- If you are prompted for a password when you install this update, enter the administrator password in Mac OS X. For more information, see Mac OS X: Software installations require administrator password.
- If you already have Office 2016 for Mac installed, and you do not want to receive Office for Mac 2011 updates, follow the steps in Uninstall Office 2011 for Mac to remove Office for Mac 2011.
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac
This update is available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is provided together with Office. It automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date. To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu.
Method 2: Microsoft Download Center
You can obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
Updated filesFor a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then click Show Files on the File menu.
- The Office for Mac 2011 14.6.6 update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up to date.
- To use AutoUpdate, start an Office for Mac program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu. For more information, see resources for Office for Mac 2011.
PrerequisitesBefore you install the Office for Mac 2011 14.6.6 update, make sure that you have Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version installed on your computer. Also, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
To verify that Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then start any Office application. (For example, start Microsoft Word).
- On the application menu, click About <application>.
- In the About <application> dialog box, notice the version number that is displayed. The number should be 14.1.0 or a later version.
Security update deployment informationFor deployment information about this update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 3170008.
Update replacement informationThis security update replaces security update KB3165796.
How to obtain help and support for this security update
Article ID: 3170463 - Last Review: 07/12/2016 19:40:00 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011, Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011, Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 Home Use Program, Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011, Microsoft Office for Mac Standard 2011
- kbsurveynew kbfix kbbug kbexpertiseinter kbsecbulletin kbsecvulnerability atdownload kbsecurity KB3170463