"Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Use Outlook Web Access
This article was previously published under Q317471
When users try to log on the Microsoft Outlook Web Access (OWA), they may receive one of the following error messages:
401.3 Access Denied by ACL on Resource - Internet Information Services
A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?
Error: Access is denied.
This issue occurs if the Authenticated Users group does not have access permissions to the Exchsrvr\exchweb folder.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you would rather fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem
link. Then click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard. Note
This wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.Note
If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
To resolve this issue yourself, follow these steps:
- Start Windows Explorer, right-click the drive:\Program Files\Exchsrvr folder, and then click Properties, where drive refers to the drive letter of your system drive (typically it is C).
- Click the Security tab, and then click to select the Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object check box.
- Click Apply.
- Make sure that the Authenticated Users group has the following permissions in the Exchsrvr\exchweb folder:
If the Authenticated Users group does not have these permissions, set these permissions manually. Close the exchweb Properties dialog box.
- Read & execute
- List Folder Contents
- Repeat steps 1-4 on the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared folder.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.
- Right-click your server, and then click Restart IIS.
- In the What do you want IIS to do list, click Restart Internet Services on Server Name, and then click OK.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services to open the Services dialog box.
- Restart all Exchange services.
- Close the Services dialog box.
Article ID: 317471 - Last Review: 09/18/2013 06:29:00 - Revision: 8.0
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
- kbmsifixme kbfixme kbprb KB317471