How to install the OneDrive for Business sync client for SharePoint 2013 and later and SharePoint Online when using Office 2016 applications
- You use Office 2016 applications
- OneDrive for Business was uninstalled after you upgraded to Office 2016
Note For more information about this problem, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
3098502 OneDrive for Business is uninstalled after you upgrade to Office 2016
This article contains information that applies when you use the OneDrive for Business sync client (Groove.exe).
Note To determine which OneDrive sync client you're using, see the following Microsoft website:
To have us fix this issue for you, go to the "Here's an easy fix" section. If you prefer to fix it yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Here's an easy fixTo have us create a custom installation of Office 2016 to extract OneDrive for Business, click this Download button.
In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.
- This wizard is in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you aren't on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Let me fix it myselfTo use a custom installation of Office 2016 to extract OneDrive for Business, follow these steps:
- Download the Office 2016 Deployment Tool from the following Microsoft website, and then save the file to your desktop:
- From your desktop, double-click OfficeDeploymentTool.exe, and then extract the files to your desktop. The following files will be displayed on your desktop:
- Create a file that is named AddODB.txt. To do this follow these steps:
- Start Notepad, and then paste the following text into a new file:Note This file will install the 32-bit English-US version of OneDrive for Business. If you have to have the 64-bit version, change the text in the second line that reads OfficeClientEdition="32" to the following:
<Configuration> <Add SourcePath="http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/492350f6-3a01-4f97-b9c0-c7c6ddf67d60/" OfficeClientEdition="32" > <Product ID="O365BusinessRetail"> <Language ID="en-us" /> <ExcludeApp ID="Access" /> <ExcludeApp ID="Excel" /> <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" /> <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" /> <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" /> <ExcludeApp ID="PowerPoint" /> <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" /> <ExcludeApp ID="Word" /> </Product> </Add> <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /></Configuration>OfficeClientEdition="64"If you have to have a language other than English-US, change the Language ID="en-us" text to the following:Language ID="<ll-cc>"To find the appropriate value of the <ll-cc> placeholder to match your language, go to the following Microsoft website:
- Save the file to your desktop, and name it AddODB.
- Start Notepad, and then paste the following text into a new file:
- Open a command prompt as an administrator. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start.
- In the Start Search box, type cmd, and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action that it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press Enter after type each one:Note The installation occurs silently in the background and can take 20 minutes or more to complete, depending on the speed of your Internet connection. Don't close the Command Prompt window during the installation.
cd /d %userprofile%\desktopsetup.exe /configure AddODB.txt
Note When the installation is completed, a new command line appears at the command prompt.
- Click Start. In the Start Search box, type OneDrive for Business, and then start OneDrive for Business.
Note After you set up OneDrive for Business, you may not see the sync icon overlays (that is, the green check marks or red crosses) on files and folders. You have to restart your computer to enable the sync icon overlays to reappear.
- Close the command prompt, and then delete the following files from your desktop:
Still need help? Go to the Office 365 Community website.
Article ID: 3175950 - Last Review: 08/04/2016 23:46:00 - Revision: 2.1
- o365 o365e o365p o365a o365m o365022013 KB3175950