When you try to install a SpeedStream 4060 USB ADSL modem from Efficient Networks on your computer, you may not be able to install the vendor-supplied installation software. You may also receive the following error message:
There was a problem installing this hardware - Efficient Networks Speedstream 4060 Modem - An error occurred during the installation of the device. The required section was not found in the INF.
This behavior occurs if the third-party driver for the device is not the latest version or the correct version for Windows XP.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- If any of the Speedstream software was installed on your computer before the installation process stopped, you must remove it. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the Currently installed programs list, select the SpeedStream software, and then click Change/Remove.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the software, and then click Close.
- Shut down and turn off your computer, and then disconnect the modem from the universal serial bus (USB) port.
- Restart your computer, log on to Windows, and then use a conventional modem or other connection to visit the following Efficient Networks Web site:
- Download the Windows XP-compatible drivers from this Web site. Save the driver files to your computer's hard disk, and then expand them by double-clicking the executable file.
The driver files expand into a given folder on your hard disk.
- Restart your computer.
- After you log on to Windows, reconnect the modem to the USB port on your computer to allow Windows to detect the modem.
- Follow the on-screen instructors in the Add Hardware Wizard. When you are prompted to provide drivers for the device, direct the wizard to the folder in which you expanded the files.
- The Add Hardware Wizard installs the vendor-supplied drivers and software.
You may have to install Internet service provider (ISP)-specific connection software to connect to the Internet.
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 318028 - Last Review: January 12, 2015 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbprb KB318028|