You Cannot Open a File That You Moved to a DFS Share in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q319971
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Under the following conditions, you may not be able to open a file you just moved:
- A DFS share and a regular share exist on the same server.
- You move a single file from the regular share to the DFS share.
This problem occurs because a handle that is supposed to be cleaned upasynchronously is not cleaned up.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in theMicrosoft Knowledge Base:
322389 How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
- Disconnect the client in the Shared Folders snap-in on the server.
- Restart either the client or the server to close the handle on the server.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 1.
Article ID: 319971 - Last Review: 01/12/2015 20:02:16 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbenv kbfix kboswin2000fix kbui kbwinxpsp1fix KB319971