"Error 1913. Could not update the ini file WIN.INI" error message when you try to install Office 2000
This article was previously published under Q321446
When you try to install Microsoft Office 2000, you may receive the following error message:
Error 1913. Could not update the ini file WIN.INI. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.
This problem may occur if the Win.ini file attribute has been set to read-only. The read-only attribute may have been set by antivirus software that is installed on the computer.
To resolve this problem, change the read-only attribute of the Win.ini file to permit the Office installation program to modify the file. To do this, follow these steps.NOTE
: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- Under Search for files and folders named, type win.ini, and then click Search Now.
- In the Search Results pane, right-click Win.ini, and then click Properties.
- In the WIN Properties dialog box, click to clear the Read-only check box, and then click OK.
- Run the Office installation program, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Office installation.
For additional information about problems with antivirus software and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFF2000: Error Message: MSOFFICE Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Shell32.dll
Article ID: 321446 - Last Review: 02/01/2007 02:58:29 - Revision: 1.5
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbtshoot kbsetup kberrmsg kbprb KB321446