After you upgrade your operating system to Windows XP, you may receive the following error message when you try to print:
Also, you may not be able to install a new printer.
This issue may occur when all
of the following conditions are true:
- You upgraded your operating system to Windows XP.
- The version of basic input/output system (BIOS) installed on your computer supports the following settings for parallel ports: "OS controlled" (or "Auto") and "Enabled".
- The current BIOS setting for parallel ports is "OS controlled" or "Auto".
Windows XP may create dummy parallel ports (for example, LPT2 and LPT3) on some computers, in addition to the already existing LPT1 port, and then Windows XP reassigns port names so that the valid port (LPT1) becomes LPT3. Any printer still connected to LPT1 under these circumstances will not print.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- In the BIOS of your computer, change the parallel port setting from "OS controlled" (or "Auto") to "Enabled". For information about how to change BIOS settings, see the documentation included with the computer or contact the computer's manufacturer.
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
- Double-click Ports, and then examine the existing LPT ports.
Only one port is listed: LPT3.
- Close the Device Manager window, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
- In Control Panel, double-click Printers and Faxes.
- Right-click the printer, click Properties, and then click the Ports tab.
- In the PrinterName Properties dialog box, click to clear the LPT1 check box, and then click to select the LPT3 check box.
- Click OK to close the PrinterName Properties dialog box.
For information about how to contact your computer manufacturer, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K60781
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P60782
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Article ID: 322961 - Last Review: 06 अगस्त 2002 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional