Cannot Copy Qmgr0.dat and Qmgr1.dat When You Run Riprep.exe on Windows XP SP1
This article was previously published under Q324444
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you use Remote Installation Preparation Wizard (RIPrep) to prepare a Microsoft Windows XP client that has Service Pack 1 (SP 1) installed, and then replicate that RIPrep image to an available Remote Installation Services (RIS) server on your network, you may receive the following error message:
C:\documents and settings\...\Downloader\Qmgr0.dat could not be copied because of a sharing violation.This error message may also say that Qmgr1.dat could not be copied.
This issue occurs because the Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS) locks these files. As a result, RIPrep cannot copy them. BITS is a component of the Microsoft Software Update Services (MSUS). This service has been updated and included with Windows XP SP 1. This behavior affects only clients that run Windows XP SP 1.
To work around this behavior, edit the Riprep.inf file on the RIS server so that the Qmgr0.dat and Qmgr1.dat files are skipped when copying the image to the RIS server. To edit the Riprep.inf file, follow these steps:
- On the desktop, right-click the My computer icon, and then click Explore.
- On the drive that hosts the RIS server, expand RemoteInstall, expand Admin, and then expand i386.
- Right-click Riprep.inf, and then click Open with.
- In Choose the program you want to use, click Notepad, and then click OK.
- In Riprep.inf, scroll down to the [FilesToSkipCopy] section.
- At the bottom of this section, type:%16419%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader=2,dat.
- Click File, click Save, click File, and then click Exit.
- Run Riprep.exe again on the client computer.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
To create Riprep images of Windows XP clients on Windows 2000-based RIS servers, you must download the updates listed in the following Knowledge Base Articles:
308508 Unable to Create Windows 2000 Server Image on RIS Server
313069 Update for the Riprep Tool
RIS DAT files
Article ID: 324444 - Last Review: 02/27/2014 21:13:51 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1, Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb KB324444