Welcome Screen Appears After Your Computer Has Been Idle
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
After your computer has been idle for a while, the Windows XP Welcome screen may appear. When this occurs, you may be prompted to select an account with which to log on.
This behavior may occur if either of the following conditions exist:
- The "On resume, display Welcome Screen" feature is turned on.
- Your computer is configured to prompt you to type a password when you resume from standby.
To change this behavior, use one or both of the following methods.
Method 1Turn off the "On resume, display Welcome Screen" feature:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
- Click the Screen Saver tab, click to clear the On Resume, display Welcome screen check box.
Method 2Configure your computer to not prompt you to type a password when you resume from standby:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power Options.
- On the Advanced tab, click to clear the Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby check box, and then click OK.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 810607 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 01:42:17 - Revision: 1.2
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbui kbprb KB810607