After you run Sysprep on an installation of either Windows
XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition, the following warning message may
be displayed in the application event log when you restart the
Event Type: Error Event
Event ID: 1517
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: <computer
Description: Windows saved user <domain\user> registry while
an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The
memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. This is often caused by
services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in the
local system account.
The event occurs if a program or service has the Registry
open while Windows XP is logging off.
You do not have to do anything. You can ignore the
behavior is by design.
Article ID: 810616 - Last Review: February 12, 2007 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2