Error Message: Cannot Install Hardware. An Error Occurred During the Installation of the Device
An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The Data is invalid.
Method 1: Install Windows service packsTo update Windows by installing the latest service packs, visit the following Web site, and then select the version of Windows that you are using:
Method 2: Replace the Driver.cab file with the original version of the file from the Windows installation disk, and then remove and reinstall your hardware deviceTo resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Rename the Driver.cab file that is in the following folder: C:\Windows\Driver cache\i386For example, rename the Driver.cab file as Driver.old.
- Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
- When the Welcome screen appears, click Perform additional tasks.
- Click Browse this CD, and then double-click the I386 folder.
- Click the Driver.cab file, and then on the Edit menu, click Copy.
- In Windows Explorer, open the following folder:C:\Windows\Driver cache\I386
- On the Edit menu, click Paste to paste the Driver.cab file in the C:\Windows\Driver cache\I386 folder.
- Remove the device that you tried to install.
For example, if you received the error when you tried to install a printer, follow these steps to remove the printer:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware.
- Click Printers and Faxes (or the icon representing the type of device that you want to remove).
- Right-click the printer that you want to remove, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm deletion of that printer.
Use Device Manager to remove the device. For example, if you received the error when you tried to install a modem, follow these steps to remove the modem:
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.
- Expand Modems, select your modem, and then press DELETE. Click Yes to confirm.
- Restart the computer. Your new device should be detected and automatically installed.
Article ID: 810882 - Last Review: 07/27/2009 16:30:14 - Revision: 3.0
- kbprb kbfix KB810882