DirectX: DirectPlay Games Do Not Start
You try to start a game, but that game does not start.
This issue may occur when both of the following conditions exist:
- You try to start a DirectPlay based game that uses DirectX 7 technology.
- Your local computer account is not a member of the Administrators group.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
Method 1: Add Your Account to the Administrators Group
To add your account to the Administrators group:
- Use any account that has administrative credentials to log on to the local computer.
- Click Start, click Run, type lusrmgr.msc in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
- In the left pane, click Users.
- In the right pane, right-click your user name, and then click Properties.
- Click the Member Of tab, click Add, and then click Advanced.
- Click Find Now, click Administrators, and then click OK three times.
- Log off, and then log on with your usual credentials.
Method 2: Upgrade to the Latest Version of DirectX
For information about installing the latest version of DirectX, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For additional information about restoring the operating system to a previous state, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows XP
Article ID: 811073 - Last Review: 02/01/2007 02:48:03 - Revision: 6.6
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Runtime