Error Message When You Try to Install Windows 2000 or Repair a Windows 2000 Installation
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you try to install Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen:
Stop C000007b, bad image. the application or dll /??/C:/winnt/system32/sfcfiles.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
You may also receive this error message when you try to repair a Windows 2000 installation.
This issue may occur if your CD-ROM is failing or is not supported.
To resolve this issue:
- Make sure that your Windows 2000 CD-ROM is clean and is not scratched.
- If you have more than one CD-ROM drive, run Windows 2000 Setup from the other drive.
- If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may have to replace your CD-ROM drive.
Article ID: 811349 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 10:23:00 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhardware kberrmsg kbsetup KB811349