XADM: "Stop 0x00000082" Error Message When You Mount Exchange IFS as the DFS Root
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you mount the Exchange Installable File System (Exchange IFS) as the Distributed File System (DFS) root, the Exchange 2000 computer displays a blue screen with the following error message:
STOP : 0x00000082 (0xBFF666A6, 0x8041DB29, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) DFS_File_SystemNote The values in the error message may vary. The values specified in the error message are valid only for Microsoft Windows 2000. The fault address exists in the operating system kernel (Ntoskrnl.exe).
This problem occurs because a NULL volume parameter block (VPB) is dereferenced by DFS. DFS expects Exchange IFS to populate this field.
DFS does not allow a root to be created on \\ComputerName\backofficestorage\dbb.extest.microsoft.com\public folders\marta but will try to create a root on M:\dbb.extest.microsoft.com\public folders\marta.
To work around this problem, create a DFS link for Exchange IFS.
To add a shared folder as a DFS Link:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Distributed File System.
- In the console tree, right-click the DFS root to which you want to assign a shared folder, and then click New DFS Link.
- In the Link Name box, type the logical name for the Exchange IFS.
- In the Send the user to this shared folder box, either type the name of a shared folder or select from the available shared folders, and then click OK.
When you delete the drive M mapping to Exchange IFS, you do not receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
305145 HOW TO: Remove the IFS Mapping for Drive M in Exchange 2000 Server
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server.
For more information about how to create a Distributed File System (DFS) root and DFS links , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
241452 How to Install Distributed File System (DFS) on Windows 2000
Article ID: 811814 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 09:42:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition, Microsoft Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbpending kbbug kberrmsg kbprb KB811814