Cannot find the Rundll32.exe file when you open Control Panel
When you open Control Panel, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Windows cannot find C:\Windows\Rundll32.exe make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.
This issue occurs because of a missing or corrupted Rundll32.exe file. This issue may also be caused by a virus.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Put the Windows XP CD ROM disk in the CD ROM drive.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type expand X:\i386\rundll32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe in the Open box, where X is the letter of your CD ROM Drive.
- Restart the computer.
For more information or if you suspect you might have a virus, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Error message caused by Sircam32 virus when you start a program
Article ID: 812340 - Last Review: 09/23/2011 13:21:00 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional