You receive an “Unable to display the selected folder or item” error message when you click a link in the Subject box in Outlook
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you type an address in the Subject
box of an e-mail message in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, only a portion of the address may appear as a link.
If the address is an Outlook link, and if you try to click it, you may receive an error message that resembles the following error message:
Unable to display the selected folder or item
If the address is an Internet link, and if you try to click it, you may receive an error message that resembles the following error message:
The page cannot be found.
This issue may occur if there is a space in the address link in the Subject box.
To work around this issue, type angle brackets around the address that contains spaces. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Outlook, click New to create a new e-mail message.
- In the Subject box, type the link in angle brackets (<>). For example, type <outlook:sent items> or <http://business partners>.
Article ID: 813606 - Last Review: 01/12/2015 21:21:38 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb kberrmsg KB813606