"The server connection timed out" error message when you import a file larger than 50 MB into a FrontPage Web
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you try to import a file larger than 50 megabytes (MB) into a FrontPage Web, the import operation may be unsuccessful and you receive the following error message:
The server connection timed out
This problem may occur after you install the SmartHTML Interpreter (Shtml.dll) update.
For more information about the SmartHTML Interpreter (Shtml.dll) update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
324096 MS02-053: Request to SmartHTML Interpreter may monopolize Web server CPU resourcesAfter you install this update, you can import a file of no larger than 50 MB into a FrontPage Web.
Method 1: Increase the maximum file size that can be importedAs the Administrator of the FrontPage Web, you can increase the maximum file size that can be imported into the FrontPage Web by adding the vti_maxformcontentlength string value to the Windows registry. To do this, follow these steps.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
- Quit FrontPage.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit and then click OK.
- Locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\All Ports
- With the All Ports key selected, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click String Value.
- Type Vti_MaxFormContentLength, and then press ENTER.
- With Vti_MaxFormContentLength selected, click Modify on the Edit menu.
- In the Value data box, type a numeric value (in bytes) to represent the new file size limitation for importing files into a FrontPage Web. For example, to increase the file size limitation to 100 megabytes, type 100000000.
Note If you type a value that is larger than 100000000, timeouts may occur. Additionally, you may receive the following error message:The form submission cannot be processed because it exceeded the maximum length allowed by the web administrator. Please resubmit the form with less data.Therefore, we do not recommend that you use a value that is larger than 100000000. This behavior is by design.
Method 2: Install the FrontPage 2002 Server ExtensionsAfter you install the FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions, this problem does not occur.
For information about how to download the FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
security_patch security patch
Article ID: 814332 - Last Review: 02/27/2014 21:17:00 - Revision: 4.4
Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbweb kbimport kberrmsg kbprb KB814332