This step-by-step article discusses how to determine whether the server meets the necessary hardware and software requirements to install the .NET Framework. This information becomes more important when you do the installation of .NET Framework or Microsoft Visual Studio .NET in silent mode.back to the topVerify the Operating System and Hardware Requirements
You can install the .NET Framework on almost any computer that runs one of the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows NT 4.0
- Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
- Windows 98
The following are the minimum system requirements for the .NET Framework:
- Processor: Intel Pentium class, 133 megahertz (MHz) or greater
- RAM: 128 megabytes (MB) (256 MB or greater recommended)
- Hard disk space required to install: 600 MB
- Hard disk space required: 370 MB
- Video: 800x600, 256 colors
To verify whether your computer meet these requirements, use one of the following methods:
back to the top Verify that Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 is Installed
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
- or -
- Use the Winmsd.exe tool: click Start, click Run, type winmsd.exe in the Open box, and then press ENTER. The System Information window opens.
Before you install the .NET Framework on a Windows 2000-based computer, you must have Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 installed. To verify that Service Pack 2 is installed, follow these steps:
- Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- The System Properties dialog box appears and displays the service pack level of the system on the General tab.
To download service packs for Windows 2000, visit the following Microsoft Web site:back to the topVerify that Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.7 or later is Installed
If you plan to install .NET Framework applications that access databases, you must have MDAC 2.7 or later installed on the system. To verify that MDAC 2.7 or later is installed, follow these steps:
- Locate the Msdadc.dll file on the client computer. By default, this file is stored in the \Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\ folder.
- Right-click the file, and then click Properties.
- On the Version tab, verify that the file version is 2.7 or later, and then click OK.
To download the latest version of MDAC, visit the following Microsoft Web site: back to the topVerify that Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0 is Installed
To deploy an ASP.NET application, you must have Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0 installed on the target system. You do not have to have IIS for Windows forms applications that use the .NET Framework. To verify that IIS is installed, follow these steps:
back to top
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the Add/Remove Windows Components button. The Windows Components Wizard starts.
- On the Windows Components page, verify that Internet Information Services (IIS) is selected.
- Click Next, and then follow the instructions provided by the wizard.
For additional information about this topic for the client, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
HOW TO: Determine Whether a Client Meets the Minimum Requirements for Installing the .NET Framework
For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:back to the top