How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003
An in-place upgrade is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system. Note that it takes the same amount of time to do the upgrade as to reinstall the operating system. Also, some of your customized Windows settings may be lost through this process.
To perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2003, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows Server 2003 CD in the CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive, and thenrestart the computer. Windows Setup begins.
- Press ENTER (to continue) when the Welcome to Setup windowappears.
- Press F8 to accept the License Agreement.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight the Windows Server 2003installation that you want to upgrade, and then press R (to Repair).
Note If the Setup program does not detect a previous installation butjust continues to the partitioning screen, an in-place upgrade may not bepossible. To detect an existing installation, the Boot.ini file must be correct,the installed registry files must be intact, and the build number must bethe same. If these are not all true, Setup will not find the installation to doan in-place upgrade.
- Windows Server 2003 Setup performs an in-place upgrade ofthe existing installation. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete theprocess.
Article ID: 816579 - Last Review: 12/03/2007 04:53:06 - Revision: 4.3
- kbinplaceact kbinfo kbhowto KB816579