How to change the folder where e-mail messages and attachments are saved in Outlook 2003 and in Outlook 2007
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
This article discusses how to configure the default folders that are used by Outlook 2003 and by Outlook 2007 when you save e-mail messages and attachments.
By default, when you use the Save As command to save e-mail messages and attachments in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003, these items are saved in your My Documents folder. The following is the path where e-mail messages and attachments are saved in Outlook 2003 by default:
drive:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documentswhere drive is the drive where Microsoft Windows is installed, and where username is your user name.
You can change the location where e-mail messages and attachments are saved in Outlook 2003 by adding the following registry value:
You can change the location where e-mail messages and attachments are saved in Outlook 2007 by adding the following registry value:
To do this, follow these steps:
HKEY_CURRENT HKEY_CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\DefaultPath
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
- For Outlook 2003, locate the following subkey in the registry by using Registry Editor: HKEY_CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options
- For Outlook 2007, locate the following subkey in the registry by using Registry Editor: HKEY_CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value.
- Type DefaultPath, and then press ENTER.
- Double-click the DefaultPath value.
- In the Edit String dialog box, type the path, including the drive letter, to the folder that you want to use for your Outlook saved items in the Value data box, and then click OK.
- Quit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 823131 - Last Review: 01/19/2007 23:40:37 - Revision: 3.2
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- kbemail kbinfo KB823131