How to restore the Windows Journal Note Writer in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to restore the Windows Journal Note Writer in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. You can use the method in this article to reinstall the Journal Note Writer in situations where the Journal Note Writer is removed from the Printers and Faxes folder or when the Windows Journal Note Writer does not function correctly.
Windows Journal Note Writer is a virtual printer that manages the import of document images to Windows Journal notes. When you print documents to the Windows Journal Note Writer, the document is converted by Windows Journal to a document image that is used as the background for a Windows Journal note.
back to the top
Reinstall the Windows Journal Note WriterTo reinstall the Windows Journal Note Writer, follow these steps:
- Use an account that has administrator credentials to log on to the Tablet PC.
- Close all instances of Windows Journal that are currently running.
- Tap Start, and then tap Run.
- In the Open box, type cmd, and then tap OK.
- At the command prompt, switch the following folder, where Drive is the drive where Windows Journal is installed:Drive:\Program Files\Windows Journal
- Type the following line, and then press ENTER:journal.exe /repairnotewriterThe Windows Journal splash screen appears briefly. After the splash screen appears, several seconds of hard disk activity follow. When the repair operation is complete, the Journal.exe process quits. You do not receive a message to notify you when the repair operation completes.
- Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.
- Verify that the repair operation is complete and that Windows Journal Note Writer is reinstalled on your Tablet PC. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then tap Task Manager.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Verify that the Journal.exe process does not appear in the list, and then quit Task Manager.
- Tap Start, and then tap Printers and Faxes.
Verify that Windows Journal Note Writer appears in the Printers and Faxes folder.
For additional information about Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
327160 Windows XP Tablet PC Edition Frequently Asked Questionsback to the top
Article ID: 824385 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 03:45:06 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowtomaster KB824385