You Receive a "401 Unauthorized" Error Message When You Start Internet Explorer
When you start Microsoft Internet Explorer, you receive the following error message:
401 Unauthorized - The server requires authorization to fulfill the request.
Access to the Web server is denied. Contact the server administrator.
This problem may occur if you log on to a Windows 2000-based server that is running ISA Server as an unauthenticated user, and the server is not configured to permit unauthenticated users.
To resolve this problem, permit unauthenticated users on the ISA Server-based computer. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the console tree of ISA Management, right-click the server or array node, and then click Properties.
- Click the Incoming Web Requests tab.
- Click to clear the Ask unauthenticated users for identification check box, and then click OK.
error 401 unauthorized access denied
Article ID: 826723 - Last Review: 10/30/2006 23:28:23 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000 Standard Edition