Alcatel software does not install on Windows XP-based computers
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Some Alcatel software programs cannot be installed on Windows XP-based computers. The Alcatel software program cannot register specific Dynamic Link Library (DLL) files when you run the Setup program.
This problem occurs because the Alcatel Setup program tries to use a closed registry key handle to register the DLL files.
Service pack informationTo resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name ---------------------------------------------------------- 16-Dec-2003 19:40 5.1.2600.1325 1,821,696 Acgenral.dll 16-Dec-2003 19:40 5.1.2600.1326 220,160 Acspecfc.dll 16-Dec-2003 19:41 79,018 Apps.chm 16-Dec-2003 19:40 1,088,148 Sysmain.sdb
Installation informationAfter you have extracted and installed the hotfix files, you must use the Compatibility Administrator tool (Compatadmin) to correctly apply the hotfix. Compatadmin is included with the Application Compatibility Toolkit. To download the Application Compatibility Toolkit, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
To use Compatadmin to apply the hotfix, follow these steps:
Note Compatibility Administrator uses the term "fix" to describe the combination of compatibility information that is added to a custom database for a specific program. This fix may be a single compatibility fix or a combination of compatibility modes. The limiting factor when you add a fix to a custom database is that it only applies to a single program.
Step 1: Use Compatadmin to create the compatibility databaseTo use Compatadmin to create the compatibility database, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, click Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, and then click Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0
- In the Compatibility Administrator Tool, click New to create a new compatibility database. The new compatibility database will contain the compatibility fix that is used to apply the AlcatelLayer fix to Alcanex.exe.
Step 2: Add the hotfix to the custom databaseTo add the hotfix to the custom database in Compatadmin, follow these steps:
- In the Database pane, click the new database under the Custom Databases node.
- Click the Fix button to open the Create a new Application Fix dialog box.
- Type the required information for the name of the program and the vendor name, locate the path of the Program File Location (Alcanex.exe) for the program, and then click Next.
- On the Compatibility Modes page, click an operating system, and then click a compatibility mode to apply to the program. AlcatelLayer appears in the list of compatibility modes when you have installed the hotfix.
Note You can click Test Run to try each mode or combination of modes until you determine the modes that solve the issue.
- Click Next.
- If you did not find a mode that will solve the compatibility issue, or if you want to fine-tune the compatibility support, you can use the Compatibility Fixes page to select individual compatibility fixes to apply. On the Compatibility Fixes page, you can click the Test Run button to try out your selections. If you must display only the selected compatibility fixes, click the Show Selected button. The Compatibility Fixes page will display different icons depending on whether the individual compatibility fix has been applied as part of a compatibility mode. When you have finished, click Next.
- On the Matching Information page, Compatibility Administrator will display all the matching information that it has detected for the program. It is good practice to use a limited list of matching information to limit the file size for the database. However, you must keep sufficient matching information for Windows XP to uniquely identify the program. If you want to add another file to the list of matching information, click Add File to locate the file.
- Click Finish to save the custom fix in the database. For example, you can save the compatibility database as alcat.sdb.
Step 3: Install the compatibility database
- In the left pane of Compatibility Administrator, click the new custom database that you want to install.
- Right-click the new database, and then click Install.
- After the fix is installed, Alcanex.exe runs with AlcatelLayer compatibility mode applied.
Step 4: Deploy the custom fix (*.sdb)to more computersTo install the hotfix and apply the custom fix to all the remaining computers, follow these steps:
- Install the hotfix executable file and the *.sdb file that you saved earlier on every computer that you want to install the fix on.
- In Compatibility Administrator, open the *.sdb file, click File, and then click Install.
For more information about how to deploy .sdb files, see the "Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit" reference. To start the Toolkit reference, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, click Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, and then click Microsoft Windows Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0 Reference.
- On the left pane of the Microsoft Windows Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0 Reference, expand Application Deployment Toolkit, and then expand Deploying and Distributing Applications and .sdb files
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 831014 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 05:12:58 - Revision: 2.6
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbwinxpsp2fix kbwinxppresp2fix kbfix kbbug KB831014