After you install the Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003 Advanced Client software on a Terminal Server computer, it may take several minutes for you to log off a Terminal Services session on the Advanced Client computer. Additionally, changes to your profile may not be saved.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
No prerequisites are required.
When you install this hotfix, the SMS site services stop and restart, and the hotfix starts an SMS site reset.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 26-Nov-2003 16:04 6,448,128 Mp.msi 27-Nov-2003 00:32 2.50.2726.102 5,422,128 Sms2003-rtm-kb831962-x86-enu.exe 25-Dec-2003 07:10 11,304 Filemap.ini 25-Dec-2003 07:10 22.214.171.124 354,152 Smsupdate.exe 25-Dec-2003 07:10 2.50.2726.102 541,696 Ccmexec.exe 25-Dec-2003 07:10 2000.80.194.0 274,489 Ntwdblib.dll 25-Dec-2003 07:10 2.0.1493.5011 855,312 Preinst.exe 25-Dec-2003 07:10 369,152 Sms2003ac-kb831962-x86.msp
This hotfix updates the Client Configuration Manager (CCM) Framework component to version 2.50.2726.0102. This hotfix contains an Advanced Client update and a management point framework update. You must update all management points with the new framework. As part of the installation, this hotfix performs a site reset to automatically update all the management points in the SMS hierarchy. If you delay the SMS site reset, you must manually perform a site reset or remove and then add the management points. You must reset each site where you apply this hotfix. To apply the hotfix silently, use the /s
switch on the command line.
You must apply this hotfix at primary and secondary sites. Because of new architecture in SMS 2003, you must create a new package and a new program to advertise this hotfix to the Advanced Client computers. As part of the Setup program, this hotfix can create the package and advertisement automatically. Microsoft recommends that you let the Setup program create the package and advertisement for you.
To install this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Download the hotfix file, and then run the self-extracting executable file to create the Sms2003-rtm-kb831962-x86-enu.exe file.
- Copy Sms2003-rtm-kb831962-x86-enu.exe to a folder on your SMS primary or secondary site server computer.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Systems Management Server, and then click SMS Administrator Console.
- Expand Site Database.
- Right-click Collections, point to New, and then click Collection.
- In the Name box, type:
Advanced Clients for 831962
- Click the Query Rule Properties button.
- In the Name box, type:
Advanced Clients for 831962
- Click Edit Query Statement.
- On the General tab, click the Show Query Language button.
- Paste or type the following query in the Query statement box:
select * from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE on SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.ClientType = 1 and SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.Name = "CcmFramework" and (SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.Version < "2.50.2726.0102" or SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.Version in ( "2.50.2726.4","2.50.2726.5", "2.50.2726.18", "2.50.2726.1", "2.50.2726.16" ))To use this query, you must have at least one Advanced Client computer in your inventory to create the database classes.
- Click OK three times.
This query identifies Advanced Client computers that do not have this hotfix installed. And this query identifies management points that also have the Advanced Client installed.
- Run Sms2003-rtm-kb831962-x86-enu.exe on the SMS site server computer.
- After the files are copied, click Yes, I want to create a package and program now, and then click Next.
- Click Next to accept the default package and default program name.
- Click Yes to perform a site reset.
- In the SMS Administrator Console, expand Packages.
- Right-click the KB831962 - Advanced Client Hotfix package, point to All Tasks, click Distribute Software, and then click Next.
- Click to select the check box for your distribution points, and then click Next.
- Click Next to advertise the program.
- Click Next to select the program for the advertisement.
- Click Advertise this program to an existing collection, and then click Browse.
- Click the Advanced Clients for 831962 collection, and then click OK.
- Click Next two times.
- Click Advertise the program only to members of the specified collection, and then click Next.
- Complete the Software Distribution Wizard.
To perform a silent installation of this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type cmd, and then click OK.
- Locate the folder that contains the Sms2003-rtm-kb831962-x86-enu.exe file.
- Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
If you cannot install the Advanced Client part of this hotfix, view the Advanced Client log files on the client computer. The Advanced Client log files are in the $Systemroot%\System32\Ccmsetup and the %Systemroot%\System32\Ccm\Logs folders.Important
Advertisement status for this hotfix may be reported incorrectly if you have distributed additional Advanced client hotfixes. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
You receive an incorrect status message after you deploy SMS 2003 Advanced Client hotfixes
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about finding the version number of your SMS 2003 installation, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to determine the version number of Systems Management Server 2003
For more information about SMS International Clients Packs, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Systems Management Server International Client Packs
For more information about standard terminology used to describe software updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates