How to install Virtual Machine Additions on a virtual machine
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to install Virtual Machine Additions on a virtual machine in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004.
Virtual Machine Additions provides features that integrate a virtual machine with the physical computer. Virtual Machine Additions includes the following features:
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Folder sharing
- Integrated mouse support
- DOS CD-ROM support
- Optimized video driver support
- Time synchronization
- Clipboard sharing
- Improved operating system performance
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 6 or 6a
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22
- IBM OS/2 Warp 4 Fixpack 15, OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 1, and OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 2
- Open the Virtual PC Console.
- In the list of virtual machines, double-click the virtual machine that you want to install Virtual Machine Additions on.
- In the virtual machine window, log on to the guest operating system.
Note For virtual machines that use Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, you must log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to install Virtual Machine Additions.
- On the Action menu of the virtual machine, click Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions.
If you cannot move the mouse pointer to the Action menu, press the ALT key to the right of the spacebar to release the mouse pointer from the virtual machine window. By default, the ALT key to the right of the spacebar is the host key.
- In the confirmation dialog box, read the information, and then click Continue.
- When the Virtual Machine Additions InstallShield Wizard window appears, click Next.
- When the wizard has completed the installation, click Finish.
- Click Yes to restart the virtual machine.
Article ID: 833139 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 05:38:42 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbnofix kbhowto KB833139