You receive a "Stop 0x0000008E" error message after you resume your laptop computer
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you resume your laptop computer, Windows XP may stop unexpectedly (crash), and you may receive the following error message:
This problem may occur if you take the following actions in the order that they are listed:
- You installed the hotfix that is described in Knowledge Base article 820696.
- You suspended your laptop computer.
- You plugged a CRT monitor into the VGA port on your laptop computer.
- You resumed your laptop computer.
- You pressed FUNCTION and the corresponding hotkey for your laptop computer to switch from the LCD screen to the CRT monitor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.
This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.
This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 2.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 833837 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 05:47:18 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive atdownload kbwinxpsp2fix kbfix kbbug KB833837