How to change the default connection response that you receive after you connect to the SMTP port in Exchange 2003
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to change the information that appears in the default Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) connection response that you receive after you connect to your SMTP virtual server Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) port on a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 computer.
You receive a default SMTP connection response that is similar to the following after you connect to an SMTP virtual server by using a connection such as Telnet:
To change the response that appears when you connect to an SMTP virtual server, follow these steps:
220 Computer Name.Domain Name.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: Version Number ready at Date Time +0000
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Change to the Adminscripts directory.
The Adminscripts directory is located in the following location:Drive:\Inetpub\Adminscripts
- Type the following line, and then press ENTER:cscript adsutil.vbs set smtpsvc/vsi number/connectresponse "Your Text"In this line, vsinumber is the number of the SMTP virtual server, and Your Text is the text that you want to appear instead of the default response.
- To complete this procedure, stop and then restart the SMTP service. To do so:
- Type net stop smtpsvc, and then press ENTER.
- Type net start smtpsvc, and the press ENTER.
- Type exit, and then press ENTER.
For additional information about Telnet and SMTP in Windows Server 2003, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
323350 HOW TO: Test SMTP services manually in Windows Server 2003For additional information about SMTP banners in Windows 2000 Server, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
281224 XCON: How to modify the SMTP banner
Article ID: 836564 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 06:17:44 - Revision: 2.6
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition, Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto KB836564