"Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load" error message after you install the MS04-003 security update
After you install the MS04-003 security update that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 832483, you may not be able to start your computer. Instead, you may receive the following error message:
The Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace DLL or restore the original DLL.
This issue may occur when your TEMP folder, as specified by the TEMP environment variable, is encrypted.
The installer that the MS04-003 security update uses extracts its contents to a subfolder of the TEMP folder. If the TEMP folder is encrypted, the update files are not successfully copied to the Windows\System32 folder when you restart your computer. One of the files that the MS04-003 security update installs is required by the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication DLL file (Msgina.dll). The Msgina.dll file is, in turn, required by the Winlogon service.
To resolve this issue, first restore your computer to a working state. After you successfully restart your computer, install the MS04-003 security update by manually specifying a nonencrypted temporary folder.
Note When you successfully restart your computer after you experience the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section, the MS04-003 security update is not yet installed on your computer.
Part 1: Restore your computer to a working stateTo restore your computer to a working state, follow these steps:
- When you receive the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section, click Restart.
- Press F8 repeatedly as your computer begins to restart. This triggers the Windows Advanced Options menu.
- Use the arrows on your keyboard to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
Part 2: Manually install the MS04-003 security updateTo obtain and install the security update, follow these steps:
- Download the MS04-003 security update, and then save it on your computer. For additional information about how to download this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:832483 MS04-003: Buffer overrun in an MDAC function could allow code execution
- Install the MS04-003 security update by running the installation package with the /T: command-line switch. This switch permits you to specify an unencrypted location for the installer to extract the package contents to.For example, to install the English-language version of the MS04-003 security update for Intel-x86-based computers, and to extract the files to the C:\alternate_temp folder, type the following at the command prompt: file_path\ENU_Q832483_MDAC_x86.EXE /T:C:\alternate_temp
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
आलेख ID: 836683 - पिछली समीक्षा: 02/20/2007 23:39:56 - संशोधन: 1.5
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86), Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86), Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8
- kberrmsg kbprb KB836683