You receive an "Error 0x80070197" error message when you use Windows Update
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you try to use Microsoft Windows Update Web site to install an update, the download may stop unexpectedly, and you may receive the following error message:
This issue may occur when you use a proxy server to connect to the Windows Update Web site, but the proxy settings are not configured correctly.
To resolve this issue, turn on the Use http 1.1 through proxy connections
setting in Internet Options:
- Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then clear the Use HTTP 1.1 check box under HTTP 1.1 settings.
- Select the Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections check box under HTTP 1.1 settings, and then click OK.
- Visit the Windows Update Web site, and test to determine whether the issue is resolved.
- If the issue is not resolved, repeat steps 2 through 5, but select the Use HTTP 1.1 and Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections check boxes.
Article ID: 836930 - Last Review: 01/12/2015 23:16:25 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Windows Update
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbwindowsupdate kbprb KB836930