You receive initialization error message 0x80040FF2 when you try to open the Windows Update Web site in Internet Explorer
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site by using Microsoft Internet Explorer, the Web site does not open, and you receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Initialization Error 0x80040FF2
This issue may occur if both the following conditions are true:
- Your computer is running a localized version of Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 2000,Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, or Microsoft Windows 98.
- An issue exists in Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) that prevents the Windows Update Web site from loading correctly in Internet Explorer.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods, depending on your situation:
- Install the latest version of Internet Explorer. For more information about how to obtain the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Install the latest version of MSXML. For more information about how to obtain the latest version of MSXML, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 836981 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 10:27:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Windows Update
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbprb KB836981