This article describes the Microsoft Office Access 2003 issue that is fixed in the Access 2003 hotfix package that is dated March 17, 2004.Note
Microsoft originally published this article on April 2, 2004. The fix that was described in the version of this article that was published on April 2, 2004 sometimes required that you rename files on your computer after you installed the fix. Microsoft has released an updated version of the fix that does not require that you rename files on your computer before you update the fix. This article has been updated to describe the updated version of the fix. If you installed the original version of this fix, your version of msaccess.exe is 11.0.6203.0.back to the topIssues that are fixed in the hotfix package
The following issues are fixed in this hotfix package, but were not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article.
back to the top
- When you use the Import Spreadsheet Wizard in Microsoft Access or the Import Text Wizard in Microsoft Access to import a Microsoft Excel file or a text file, you can modify the field information for only the first field that is on the fourth page of the Import Spreadsheet Wizard or the Import Text Wizard.ReasonThe problem is related to both the Import Spreadsheet Wizard and the Import Text Wizard.
- Access 2003 may stop responding (hang) when you print multiple page reports that display images from a Microsoft Access project (.adp) file.
- When you paste data in an Access 2003 subform, the data that you pasted is not saved to the underlying Access table. This problem may occur if the SourceObject property of the subform is changed programmatically (from one form to another).
- When you add rows to a subform in your custom Access 2003 program on a Tablet PC computer, your custom program that is on a Tablet PC computer may quit unexpectedly, and you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This issue occurs if you use the virtual keyboard (Tabtip.exe) on the Tablet PC.
- When you run a complex report in Access 2003 that uses the Space() function in Label captions, you receive the following error message:
Runtime error: 2101
The setting you entered is invalid for this property.
- When you convert a database to Access 2003, you may receive a compile error dialog box. The error may not be logged in the conversions error log, and the conversion of the database may not appear to complete successfully.
- When you open an old database, you may be prompted with the Open/Convert dialog box to convert the database.
- When you try to open an Access database that was created in Microsoft Access 2.0 or earlier that references Data Access Objects (DAO) 2.5 or DAO 3.5 compatibility layer, the database may not open.
Service pack information
This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.back to the topPrerequisites
There are no prerequisites for this hotfix.back to the topRestart information
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.back to the topHotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.back to the topRegistry information
You do not have to create or to modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that are contained in this package.back to the topHotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that you must have to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 04-Jun-2004 01:26 5.0.2919.6304 9,693,216 Office2003-kb837003-glb.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer MSP file information for update to wizard files:
Date Time Size File name ------------------------------------------------- 28-May-2004 20:54 3,925,504 Accwizff.msp (full-file) 28-May-2004 19:16 3,917,312 Accwizop.msp (optimized)
Microsoft Windows Installer MSP file information for update to msaccess.exe:
Date Time Size File name -------------------------------------------------- 20-May-2004 21:09 3,804,160 Msaccessff.msp (full-file) 20-May-2004 20:39 1,799,168 Msaccessop.msp (optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name ----------------------------------------------------------- 04-Mar-2004 17:18 11.0.6203.0 170,688 Accwiz.dll 26-Feb-2004 07:17 1,724,416 Acwzlib.mde 26-Feb-2004 07:18 5,533,696 Acwzmain.mde 26-Feb-2004 07:18 8,265,728 Acwztool.mde 23-Mar-2004 09:53 11.0.6205.0 6,629,576 Msaccess.exe Additional notes
back to the top
- You must install the MSP file that updates the wizard files and you must also install the MSP file that updates msaccess.exe file.
- For more information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that the package contains.
- For more information about the differences between the two .msp files, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Import Spreadsheet Wizard fields columns Import Text Import Spreadsheet The expression ColumnSelected you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: There was an error loading an ActiveX control on one of your forms or reports.