Connections do not use LAN automatic configuration and proxy settings in Windows Server 2003
After you install Microsoft Windows Server 2003, the automatic configuration and proxy setting information for each connection may be different from the information that is used for the local area network (LAN) connection.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later, each connection uses its own automatic configuration and proxy settings. In Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, this functionality is different. Windows Server 2003 includes Internet Explorer 6.
Because you may require the automatic configuration or proxy settings of your connections to be the same as the LAN settings, Microsoft has provided a supported design-change "fix" in the form of a hotfix. You can use this hotfix to set all the automatic configuration and proxy settings of your connections that are blank or that are not set for each connection to the LAN settings.
Update informationThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the package now.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites are required.
Restart requirementYou must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name------------------------------------------------------------29-Apr-2004 01:24 6.0.3790.168 624,640 Wininet.dll
Installation instructionsAfter you apply this hotfix, you must create a new DWORD registry entry that is named DialupUseLanSettings and then set its value to 1 to correctly implement the fix. The entry's location in the registry depends on whether you want to use a per-computer setting or a per-user setting:
- To use a per-computer setting, create the entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEhive.
- To use a per-user setting, create the entry in the HKEY_CURRENT_USERhive.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEhive first, and then it checks in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USERhive. It uses the first enabled value that it finds.
NoteYou only have to create this entry in one location.
To create the entry, follow these steps.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Use One Of The Following Methods:
- To use a per-computer setting, locate and then click the following subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
- To use a per-user setting, locate and then click the following subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
- To use a per-computer setting, locate and then click the following subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DialupUseLanSettings, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click DialUseLanSettings, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Quit Registry Editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Artikel-id: 839571 – Seneste udgave 06/02/2006 09:01:17 – Udgave 2.6
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86), Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86), Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- atdownload kbbug kbfix kbwinserv2003presp1fix kbqfe KB839571