Dynamic Web Templates do not work correctly when you use the attach and detach operations in FrontPage 2003
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you use Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Dynamic Web Templates, the following symptoms may occur:
- After you make a change to a Dynamic Web Template, the Update All Pages and the Update Attached Pages menu commands are unavailable.
- If you are prompted to automatically update the Web pages that have a Dynamic Web Template attached, only the Web page files that are open in FrontPage 2003 are updated.
This problem may occur if both of the following conditions are true:
- The Web site is opened by using the hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP) in FrontPage 2003 by using the Internet or a local host.
- The Web site is located on a Web server that is using Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions version 2002 or earlier.
To work around this problem, open each Web page that is attached to a Dynamic Web Template (.dwt) in FrontPage 2003 before you make changes to the template (.dwt) file. After you making changes to the template file, FrontPage 2003 prompts you to update all attached pages when the template file is saved.
As an alternative, you can publish the Web site to a local disk, and then perform the attach and detach operations that you want before you publish to the Web server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start FrontPage 2003.
- Click File, click Open Site, and then type the location of the Web server that you want.
- Click File, and then click Publish Site.
- Click the Remote Web Site tab, click File System, and then type the local computer path that you want.
- Click OK, and then click Yes to create a new Web location.
The Local Web site pane appears on the left of the FrontPage 2003 window, and the Remote Web site pane appears on the right of the FrontPage 2003 window.
- Click Publish Web site.
The Web site is published to your local computer.
- Click File, and then click Close Site, to close the Web site.
- Click File, click Open Site, and then locate the local Web site that you created in step 5.
If it is appropriate, you may remove the Dynamic Web Template code from the Web page files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click File, click Open, type the Dynamic Web Template (.dwt) file that you want, and then click Open.
- Make a backup copy of the Dynamic Web Template. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click File, and then click Save As.
- Type a name such as BackupDWT.dwt, and then click Save.
- Click File, click Open, locate the original Dynamic Web Template file, and then click Open.
- Remove all text, pictures, and other components on the Dynamic Web Template file. However, do not remove any part of the editable regions on the Dynamic Web Template file.
- When only the editable regions in the Dynamic Web Template file remain, click File, click Save , and then click Yes to save the Dynamic Web Template file and any files that are attached.
- Click Format, click Dynamic Web Template, and then click Detach from Dynamic Web Template to remove the Dynamic Web Template code from the attached files.
821957 Attached pages are not updated when you save changes to a Dynamic Web Template
Article ID: 840572 - Last Review: 01/17/2015 17:51:04 - Revision: 1.6
Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb KB840572