FIX: You may notice that the query performance on an Analysis Services cube degrades temporarily after an incremental update processes the virtual dimensions
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Bug #: 14362 (Plato7x)
When you run a query on an Analysis Services cube that contains virtual dimensions, you may notice that the performance of the query degrades temporarily after the virtual dimensions are processed by using the incremental update processing.
This problem occurs if the version of SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services that is installed on your computer is 8.0.931 or later.
By default, virtual dimensions are changing dimensions. When a changing dimension that is used in an Analysis Services cube is processed, a lazy aggregation processing operation is triggered on a low-priority background thread.
After you install the 8.0.931 build version of SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services, when the virtual dimensions are processed by using the incremental update processing method, the lazy aggregation processing is triggered. During the lazy aggregation, the flexible aggregations and indexes for the Analysis Services cube that uses the changing dimensions are deleted and re-created. Therefore, the query performance may noticeably decrease until the lazy aggregation processing is complete.
Note Before hotfix build 8.0.931, when the virtual dimensions are processed by using the incremental update processing method, the lazy aggregation processing operation is not triggered.
Service pack informationTo resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2000. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
290211 How to obtain the latest SQL Server 2000 service pack
Hotfix informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name ------------------------------------------------------- 06-Apr-2004 07:56 18,800 Msmd.h 09-Jun-2004 05:04 8.0.950.0 221,760 Msmdcb80.dll 09-Jun-2004 05:04 18.104.22.1680 4,063,808 Msmddo80.dll 09-Jun-2004 05:04 8.0.950.0 1,032,768 Msmdgd80.dll 09-Jun-2004 05:04 8.0.950.0 172,608 Msmdpump.dll 09-Jun-2004 04:09 8.0.950.0 446,524 Msmdsgn.rll 09-Jun-2004 05:04 22.214.171.1240 9,642,564 Msmdsgn80.dll 09-Jun-2004 05:04 8.0.950.0 1,839,684 Msmdsrv.exe 09-Jun-2004 05:04 8.0.950.0 2,081,360 Msolap80.dll 09-Jun-2004 03:55 8.0.950.0 213,068 Msolap80.rllNote Because of file dependencies, the most recent hotfix that contains these files may also contain additional files.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
This problem was first corrected in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4.
This update to Analysis Services introduces the prioritization of indexing of partitions in a cube during lazy processing. The introduction of this prioritization improves the efficiency of lazy processing. To prioritize the indexing of partitions in a cube during lazy processing, the Analysis Services program uses the value of the Description property of partitions. The Description property of a partition has the following characteristics:
- The value of the Description property is a string that is considered as case insensitive.
- By default, the Description property is not set for a partition. Therefore, to assign the priority, you must modify the value of the Description property of the partition.
- The value of the Description property is sorted based on the lexicographic order. The partition that has the highest value for the Description property is processed first. For example, if you have two partitions, P1 and P2, and you assign the value of the Description property for P1 as 001 and you assign the value of the Description property for P2 as 002, the Analysis Services program will process the partition P2 first.
- If two partitions have same value for the Description property, the order among the conflicting partitions is decided by the Analysis Services program.
- If the Description property is not set for a partition, the partition is processed after all other partitions that have the Description property set have been processed.
- This code sample uses the syntax of the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 programming language and sets the Description property value of the partition HR in the cube HR of the sample database FoodMart 2000 to "001".
- Before you run this code sample, you must replace AnalysisServer with the name of your Analysis Server.
- Before you run this code sample, you must add a reference to the Microsoft Decision Support Objects library.
Dim s As New DSO.Server'Connect to the Analysis Server.s.Connect "AnalysisServer"'Instantiate the data source.Dim database As MDStoreSet database = s.MDStores("Foodmart 2000")'Instantiate the cube.Dim cube As MDStoreSet cube = database.MDStores("HR")'Instantiate the partition.Dim partition As MDStoreSet partition = cube.MDStores("HR")'Set the Description property value of the partition.partition.Description = "001"'Update the partition.partition.Update
For additional information about a related problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
840223 FIX: The Analysis server computer stops responding when you process dimensions and virtual dimensionsFor additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 843262 - Last Review: 11/02/2013 01:33:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbsqlserv2000presp4fix kbperformance kbdesign kbcodesnippet kbqfe kbfix kbbug kbhotfixserver KB843262