Removing Misspelled Words from the Custom Dictionary
This article was previously published under Q85036
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
To delete words from the custom dictionary in Microsoft Works forWindows, use the following steps:
- In the Windows Program Manager, open Windows Notepad.
- From the File menu in Notepad, choose Open. Select the CUSTOM.DIC file in the C:\WINDOWS\MSAPPS\PROOF subdirectory, and choose the OK button.
- Select the word or words you want to remove from the custom dictionary and delete them. Remove any blank lines left by these deletions. Do not change this file in any other way.
- Save the CUSTOM.DIC file and exit Notepad.
- These steps assume that Windows is installed in the subdirectory C:\WINDOWS.
- You cannot add words to the custom dictionary in this manner.
- Other Windows applications may use this CUSTOM.DIC file; therefore, changes that you make affect such applications.
For more information, refer to page 482 of the Microsoft Works forWindows 3.0 User's Guide.
winworks misspelled mispelled incorrect misspell
Article ID: 85036 - Last Review: 10/08/2013 04:57:43 - Revision: 3.1
- Microsoft Works 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Works 2.0a
- Microsoft Works 3.0 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive KB85036