How to re-create fiscal periods in Microsoft Dynamics GP
Note Before you follow the instructions, make sure that you maintain transaction history and that you have maintained transaction history in the past. If you have not maintained transaction history and you run a reconcile, the summary information may be lost. During a reconcile, the summary information is reconciled to the detail transaction information. If there is no detail for the summary with which to reconcile and you continue with the reconcile, any summary information that you had will be lost. The only way to restore information is from a backup. We recommend that you have a valid backup before you re-create fiscal periods or before you continue with the reconcile.
Note When you re-create fiscal periods, the period description is reset. For example, if you enter period descriptions, such as period 1 for January, these descriptions are reset.
Note You cannot change fiscal periods if they are historical.
- Print the fiscal period report. You will need this detail later to setup the same fiscal periods again. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Reports, point to Company, and then click Setup.
- In the Reports list, click Fiscal Periods.
- Click New to create a new report option.
- In the Company Setup Report Options window, enter a name (of your choice) for the report in the Option field.
- Click Print. Click OK.
- To determine which years are historical, go to Tools under Microsoft Dynamics GP, point to Setup, point to Company, and click Fiscal Periods. Select each Year and note if the Historical Year checkbox is marked. If the Historical Year checkbox is unmarked, the year has not been closed.
- Run the following statement against the company database.
delete SY40100delete SY40101
- In Microsoft Dynamics GP, point to Tools on the Microsoft Dynamics GP menu, point to Setup, point to Company, and then click Fiscal Periods.
- Set up each fiscal period to match the fiscal periods in the report that you printed in step 1. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the Year list, click a year.
- In the First Day field, type a first day for the fiscal period.
- In the Last Day field, type a last day for the fiscal period.
- In the Number of Periods field, type the number of periods for the fiscal year.
- Make sure that you click to select the Historical Year check box if it was a historical year in the report that you printed in step 1.
- Click Calculate.
- Repeat step 4a through step 4f for each year in the report.
- After you set up all the fiscal periods, click OK.
- In Microsoft Dynamics GP, point to Tools on the Microsoft Dynamics GP menu, point to Utilities, point to Financial, and then click Reconcile.
- Click to select the Year check box.
- If you have historical years in the fiscal periods, click History. Start with the oldest history year first. For example, if the historical years are 2010, 2011, and 2012, start with 2010 first. If you have no historical years, start with the oldest open year.
- Click Reconcile. Microsoft Dynamics GP now processes all general ledger accounts and reconciles the account summary information to the account detail.
- Repeat step 6 through step 9 until you have processed all historical years and open years in the correct order.
Article ID: 871789 - Last Review: 12/14/2015 19:46:00 - Revision: 10.0
- kbinfo kbexpertisebeginner kbhowto kbexpertiseinter kbmbsmigrate KB871789