You may receive an "'undefined' is null or not an object" error message when evidence is uploaded in the Office Solution Accelerator for Sarbanes-Oxley
When you install the Microsoft Office Solution Accelerator for Sarbanes-Oxley, a problem may occur. You enter data in the Control documents and then upload the Evidence documents to support the Control documents. This has worked in the past. However, recently when you try to upload evidence, you may receive the following error message:
'undefined' is null or not an object
After you click OK
in the error dialog box, you may receive the following error message:
Object does not support this property or method
When the Office Solution Accelerator for Sarbanes-Oxley has to upload evidence to the server, the Office Solution Accelerator for Sarbanes-Oxley uses a COM object on the system that is named ADODB.Stream
. The ADODB.Stream
object can load an arbitrary binary file from disk to an array of bytes that can then be encoded for transfer to the server by using XML. This is useful for manipulating evidence files.
However, the problem occurs because the ADODB.Stream
object can also write data to disk. To help protect you from a malicious Web site that may use this object to load viruses or to load other files to your computer, the Microsoft Internet Explorer team set a registry key that prevents the ADODB.Stream
object from running in Internet Explorer. This registry key is part of a critical update that was distributed on July 3, 2004.
For additional information about the ADODB Stream object, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to disable the ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer
To work around this problem, you must do the following:
- Read the previous Knowledge Base article so that you understand the implications of this change.
- Add your Accelerator for Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) site to your Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer.
- Follow the steps in the "Important notes" section of the previous Knowledge Base article to re-enable the ADODB.Stream object.
To add the SOX site to the Trusted Sites
zone, follow these steps:
- Start Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click Trusted Sites on the Security tab.
- Click Sites.
- Click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
- Type the URL of your Sarbanes-Oxley Accelerator site, and then click Add.
For example, you may type http://contososerver/sox
- Click Custom Level.
- Locate Access data sources across domains. Set Access data sources across domains to Prompt or to Enable.
Warning Never set this property to Enable for the Internet zone. A malicious Web site may access data on your computer without your knowledge or your consent.
- Click OK to commit the change.
- Follow the steps in the Knowledge Base article that is mentioned at the beginning of this section to re-enable the ADODB.Stream object.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 872838 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 09:26:00 - Revision: 2.0