How to pass parameter information to format a Data View Web Part by using a Web Part Connection with FrontPage 2003
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to pass formatting information to a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services Data View Web Part by using a Web Part connection in Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003. The following steps provide one example that changes the background color of a Data View Web Part table cell when you click a link in a corresponding Data View Web Part cell. You can use similar methods to identify one type of data when another type of data is accessed.
To create a Web Part connection that passes information from one Data View Web Part to change the background color of a cell in another Data View Web Part, follow these steps:
- Open your Windows SharePoint Web site with a Web browser and add several announcements to the default Announcements list.
- Open your Windows SharePoint Services Web site in Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003.
- Click File, click New, and then click Blank page on the right pane.
- Insert a Data View for the default Announcements list.
To do this click Insert, point to Database, click Data View, click Announcements in the right pane, and then click Insert Data View.
- Below the Data View that you inserted in step 5, insert another Data View for the same Announcements list.
To do this, click the Web page just below the Data View, click Announcements in the right pane, and then click Insert Data View.
- Click inside any cell that contains data in the Data View that you created in step 5.
- On the Table menu, point to Select, and then click Cell.
- On the Data menu, click Conditional Formatting.
- In the right pane, click Create, and then click Apply Formatting.
- Use the ID field, the Equals field and the [Input Parameter] field to create the following condition: ID Equals [Input Parameter]. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Field Name list, and then click ID.
- Click the Comparison list, and then click Equals.
- Click the Value list, click [Input Parameter], and then click OK.
The Modify Style dialog box appears.
- Click Format, click Border, and then click the Shading tab.
- In the Background color list, click a color that you want, and then click OK two times.
- Right-click the Data View that you created in step 4, and then click Web Part Connections.
The Web Part Connections Wizard appears.
- Configure the Web Part connection. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the Choose the action on the source Web Part to use for this connection list click the Provide Data Values To option, and then click Next.
- In the Choose the page containing the Web Part for the connection list, click the Connect to a Web Part on this page option, and then click Next.
- In the Target Web Part list, click the Data View that you created in step 5.
- In the Target action list, click Modify View Using Parameters From, and then click Next.
- In the Columns in Announcements list, click ID, click Input Parameter in the Inputs to Announcements list, and then click Next.
- In the Create a hyperlink on list, click Title, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to quit the Web Part Connections Wizard.
- On the File menu, click Save to save the page, and then open the Web page in your Web browser.
Article ID: 873013 - Last Review: 01/17/2015 17:46:42 - Revision: 1.4
Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003, Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbinfo KB873013