You cannot roll back a device driver to a previously installed driver after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
You cannot roll back a device driver to a previously installed driver by using Device Manager after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
This problem occurs because no back up file is created for the previously installed driver of a third-party device when you install Windows XP SP2.
To work around this problem, reinstall the drivers for all third-party devices that experience this problem. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Double-click the type of device that you want to reinstall.
- Double-click the specific device that you want to reinstall.
- Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to open the Hardware Update Wizard.
- Follow the Hardware Update Wizard instructions.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to manage devices in Windows XP
Article ID: 873171 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 07:56:43 - Revision: 3.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbconfig kb3rdparty kbdriver kbtshoot kbprb KB873171