You receive an "Installation Error: File not Found" or "Error 0x51F" error message when you try to update Office 2003 programs from the Office Update Web site or the Office Download Center
A required installation file filename.CAB could not be found.
Original Installation Source Required:
If you installed program name from a CD, please insert your CD. If you installed program name over your computer network, please browse to the installation source on your network. Once you have located your installation source, click OK.
For more information about Product Code numbering in Office 2003, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Source files in the C:\MSOCache\All Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9 folder are missing.
- The MSOCache folder has been deleted.
- There is a problem with the Local Installation Source (LIS) for the program.
Note Regardless of the method that you use to work around this problem, you can resolve this problem if you have the Office 2003 program CD. To permanently resolve this problem, use the Local Installation Source tool to repair the Local Installation Source. For more information about how to use the Local Installation Source tool, see the "Use the Local Installation Source tool" section.
Method 1: Provide the original source that you used to install the program the first timeWhen you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, perform one of the following steps to provide the original source that you used to install the program:
- Insert the original Office 2003 program CD that you used to install Office 2003, and then click OK.
- Click Browse, locate the Office 2003 program installation folder on the network, and then click OK.
Note If the steps listed in Method 1 do not work, it is possible that the files in the MSOCache\All Users\download code folder do not match the files on the CD that you have provided. Check to make sure that the CD that you inserted matches the product that is being requested. For example, the installed product may be Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and the CD contains files for Microsoft Office Professional Enterprise Edition 2003. If this is the case, you must remove the Microsoft Office product, and then install the product again from the available CD.
Note Toshiba provides a compressed image of the OneNote CD on the "Toshiba Recovery and Applications / Drivers" DVD that is located in the following folder:
- Double-click the B21654A.exe file.
A Winzip Self Extractor alert dialog box appears with the following message:Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 W32 English OPK v. 11.5510.5606 Setup will start when the extraction is complete. Please restart your computer after the installation is completed.
- Click OK.
Another dialog box appears that provides several installation options.
- To extract the files without installing Microsoft Office OneNote 2003, click to clear the When done unzipping open: SETUP.exe check box. By default, the files are extracted to the C:\OneNote2003.temp folder. If you want the files to be extracted to a different location, change the location.
- Click Unzip.
- When the extraction is complete, you receive the following Winzip Extractor dialog box: 53 file(s) unzipped successfullyClick OK.
- Click Close to close the WinZip Self-Extractor - B21654A.exe dialog box.
Method 2: Use Office UpdateMicrosoft Update is designed to install an update without user interaction. For example, if you use Microsoft Update, you do not have to provide the program CD. However, if you use Office Update, you are prompted for your program CD-ROM only if there is a problem with the Local Installation Source on the computer.
To have the Office Update Web site detect the required updates that you must install on your computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 3: Use the Microsoft Download CenterYou can use the Microsoft Download Center to download a full-file version of the update if the following conditions are true:
- You do not have access to the program CD.
- You experienced problems when installed the update because of a problem with the Local Installation Source.
- If you know the name of the update that you want to install, type the name of the update in the Keywords (optional) box, and then click Go.
Alternatively, if you want to find the available updates for the product that you want to update, click the product in the product families list, and then click Go.
- Locate and then click the update that you want to install.
- Read the download Web page for the update to determine whether a full-file version of the update is available. If a full-file version of the update is available, click the full-file version of the update, and then follow the instructions to download and to install the update.
How to use the Local Installation Source tool
- Quit all Office 2003 programs.
- Go to the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click Download.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Save.
- Select the folder in which you want to save the LISTool.exe file, and then click Save.
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Open the folder in which you downloaded the LISTool.exe file, and then double-click LISTool.exe.
- Type the full path of a folder, and then click OK.
Alternatively, click Browse to open the folder to which you want to extract the LISTool.exe file.
To delete and disable the Local Installation Source for the program, follow these steps:
- Open the folder to which you extracted the Local Installation Source tool, and then double-click the LISTool.exe file.
- Click Delete and disable LIS, and then click Next.
- Accept the End-User License Agreement, and then click Next.
- Click to select the check box for the program for which you want to disable Local Installation Source, and then click Next. For example, click to select the Microsoft Office Project Professional Edition 2003 check box.
- Click Delete.
- Click OK when you receive the following message:Microsoft Office Local Installation Source has been successfully deleted and disabled.
Note You must have the program CD to complete these steps.
- Locate your copy of the program CD.
- Open the folder to which you extracted the Local Installation Source tool, and then double-click LISTool.exe.
- Click Enable LIS, and then click Next.
- Accept the End-User License Agreement, and then click Next.
- Click to select the check box for the program for which you want to enable Local Installation Source, and then click Next. For example, click to select the Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003 check box.
- Click Enable.
- Click OK when you receive the following message: Microsoft Office Local Installation Source has been successfully enabled
Article ID: 875556 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 08:04:40 - Revision: 8.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbnomt kbgraphxlink kbscreenshot kberrmsg kbprb KB875556