You cannot save an e-mail message as a file from Outlook Web Access in Exchange Server 2003
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you open an e-mail message from your Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 mailbox by using Microsoft Outlook Web Access, you cannot save that e-mail message as a file.
You expect the e-mail message to contain a View As Web Page link that you can click so that you can view the HTML body of the message exactly as it was sent in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
This issue occurs if you open the e-mail message by using the Outlook Web Access Premium e-mail client program. The functionality to view an e-mail message as a Web page is not currently included in the Outlook Web Access Premium client program. The Outlook Web Access Basic e-mail client program does include a View As Web Page link in an opened e-mail message.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Exchange Server 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
836993 How to obtain the latest service packs for Exchange Server 2003
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
To work around this behavior, use the Basic version of the Outlook Web Access client program. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type https://mail.example.com/exchange, and then click OK.
In this URL, mail.example.com is the URL of your Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access server.
- Type your alias in the Domain\alias box, type your password in the Password box, click to select the I want to use the Basic version of OWA (more info...) check box, and then click Log On.
- In the opened e-mail message, click the View As Web Page link.
- In the following message that appears, click OK: You are about to open the message body as a web page that may contain unsafe content. Click OK to proceed, Cancel to return to the message.
- In the new Internet Explorer window that appears, click Save As on the File menu.
- Type a name for the message that you want to save, and then click Save.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2.
Article ID: 875573 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 08:04:50 - Revision: 4.3
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbpending kbbug kbtshoot kbprb kbnofix KB875573