Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office 2003 Financial Symbol smart tag post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Microsoft Office 2003. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- Issues that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office 2003 Financial Symbol smart tag issue that is fixed in the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated September 2, 2004.
Issues that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you type certain established stock symbols in a Microsoft Office 2003 document and then press the SPACEBAR, the symbol is not recognized by the smart tags feature. In Microsoft Office Excel 2003, you experience this issue if you type a certain established stock symbol and you switch to another cell. This issue occurs because the Stocks.dat and the Stocks.xml files are either missing or out-of-date.
Note Follow these steps to turn on smart tag Recognition for Financial Symbols in an Office 2003 program, such as Microsoft Office Word 2003 or Excel 2003:
- Start the Office 2003 program.
- On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options.
- On the Smart Tags tab, follow these steps:
- Click to select the Label text with smart tags check box.
Note In Excel 2003, this check box appears as Label data with smart tags.
- Click to select the Financial Symbol (Smart tag lists) check box, and then click OK.
Service pack information
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix package:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For additional information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with SP1 installed or on a computer that does not have SP1 installed. However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on Office 2003 with SP1 than we have on Office 2003 without SP1. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without SP1, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
You must create or modify any registry keys to enable any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
02-Sep-2004 19:32 5.0.2919.6304 125,984 Office2003-kb883932-glb.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information:
Date Time Size File name
02-Sep-2004 13:39 225,280 Stocksff.msp (full-file/administrative)
02-Sep-2004 13:27 134,144 Stocksop.msp (optimized)
After the hotfix is installed, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table:
Date Time Size File name
02-Jun-2004 14:24 39,017 Stocks.dat
02-Jun-2004 14:30 1,800 Stocks.xml
- For additional information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For additional information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For additional information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 883932 - Last Review: January 17, 2015 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kboffice2003sp2fix kbsmarttags kbbug kboffice2003presp2fix kbfix kbhotfixrollup KB883932|