Description of the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package: September 13, 2004
Microsoft has released the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- Issues that are fixed in the hotfix package
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 issues that are fixed in the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated September 13, 2004.
back to the top
Issues that are fixed in the hotfix packageThis hotfix package fixes the following issues:
- 885870 Duplicate e-mail messages are downloaded from a POP3 e-mail server account in Outlook 2003
- 885242 The default permissions of a new user are changed from Reviewer to None in the Calendar Properties dialog box in Outlook 2003
- When you deploy an installation of Outlook 2003 that includes changes to a profile and changes to the default All Accounts group, the custom settings for the All Accounts group may be overwritten with the default settings.
- When you read an e-mail message that contains Double Byte Character Set (DBCS) characters, such as Chinese characters, the e-mail message is not displayed by using the DBCS characters. This issue occurs in Outlook 2003 that is installed from Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Edition.
This problem was first fixed in a hotfix that is now contained in a service pack. If you installed the latest Office 2003 service pack, you do not have to install the hotfix.
Service pack informationThis problem is corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
870924 How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
back to the top
PrerequisitesThe following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix package:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For additional information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:842532 Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with SP1 installed or without SP1 installed. However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on Office 2003 with SP1 than we have on Office 2003 without SP1. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without SP1, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
back to the top
Restart informationYou do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
back to the top
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
back to the top
Registry informationYou do not have to create or modify any registry keys to activate any hotfixes that this package contains.
back to the top
Hotfix file informationThis hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name ------------------------------------------------------------------------- 15-Sep-2004 16:13 5.0.2919.6304 5,284,384 Office2003-kb885243-glb.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information:
Date Time Size File name ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 13-Sep-2004 13:29 8,730,624 Outlookff.msp (Full-File/Administrative) 13-Sep-2004 09:37 3,479,552 Outlookop.msp (Optimized)
After the hotfix is installed, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table:
Date Time Version Size File name -------------------------------------------------------- 28-Apr-2004 04:10 11.0.6353.0 196,296 Outlook.exe 11-Sep-2004 00:17 11.0.6404.0 77,000 Dlgsetp.dll 26-Aug-2004 22:48 11.0.6402.0 132,296 Envelope.dll 26-Aug-2004 22:48 11.0.6402.0 345,800 Exsec32.dll 26-Aug-2004 22:48 11.0.6402.0 122,056 Impmail.dll 26-Aug-2004 23:00 11.0.6402.0 158,912 Oladd.fae 26-Aug-2004 22:57 11.0.6402.0 152,256 Olappt.fae 26-Aug-2004 22:57 11.0.6402.0 117,952 Oljrnl.fae 26-Aug-2004 22:57 11.0.6402.0 113,344 Olmail.fae 26-Aug-2004 22:57 11.0.6402.0 104,640 Olnote.fae 26-Aug-2004 23:01 11.0.6402.0 146,624 Oltask.fae 11-Sep-2004 00:18 11.0.6404.0 7,574,216 Outllib.dll 11-Sep-2004 00:17 11.0.6404.0 140,480 Outlph.dll 26-Aug-2004 22:47 11.0.6402.0 44,744 Outlvbs.dll 11-Mar-2004 20:01 11.0.6254.0 74,936 Rm.dll 26-Aug-2004 23:01 11.0.6402.0 100,552 Transmgr.dll
- For additional information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For additional information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
For additional information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updatesback to the top
Article ID: 885243 - Last Review: 07/12/2012 02:57:00 - Revision: 5.0
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kboffice2003sp2fix kbsetup kbcalendar kbemail kbreceivemail kbbug kbfix kbhotfixrollup kboffice2003presp2fix KB885243